Benefits: We pay into employer or self-funded benefit plans all year long. So, before they re-set for 2017, squeeze the most from your 2016 benefits. Tips:
- Call your provider to determine your remaining coverage for dental work, vision care, chiropractic, massage, physiotherapy and prescriptions.
- Make appointments with your health care providers, refill subscriptions
and order your contact lenses.
- Use up health care spending account dollars.
- If your vacation days can’t be carried forward, apply for them to be paid out or simply book the time off.
Tax Credits: There are oodles of tax credits for individuals and families that are captured in the calendar year. Tips:
- Visit CRA to explore what you quality for.
- Gather up receipts for medical, childcare, caregiver, tuition and self-employment expenses. You’ll need proof you actually spent this money.
- Make charitable donations by Dec 31st, 2016.
- Get a plan in place to top up your RRSPs come February.
Renewals: What do you pay into each year that automatically renews January 1st, 2017? Tips:
- Negotiate for better prices, terms and conditions on house, auto, life and disability insurance.
- Get rid of recurring payments that don’t offer value like expensive gym memberships that you don’t use or grocery delivery services that result in rotting foods.
Like these tips? Sign up for our newsletter.