Here’s what we’re suggesting you do in Week 1 of our Small Changes, Big Win series, in which we help you save money over the next four months.
Small changes to the way you spend your money can really add up. We’ve pulled together weekly tips that will add a minimum of $10 to your savings. Here’s the catch; you’ve got to e-transfer that money into your savings account either every week or daily … and try to ensure that you’re not paying unnecessary fees on your savings account. Ready to watch your money grow? Check out this week’s tip.
Week 1: Stop buying coffee for one whole week.
How It Works: Coffees, lattes and soy drinks are a treat, but they’re hard on your wallet and waistline. Author David Bach of Automatic Millionaire invented the concept of the “latte factor” a few decades ago and proved that those tiny caffeine indulgences add up to many thousands of dollars throughout your life. Simply cutting back on the size, or trading a fancy coffee in for a basic one, can produce a similar result to cutting out coffees completely. But, for this week, we want you to cut 100 per cent of your coffee purchases. That means you’ll have to make your cup of joe at home for seven whole days.
Take Action: Avoid buying any size and style of coffee for one full week. Transfer the money into your savings account daily.
Savings: ranges between $12 and $28, depending on the type of coffee you buy.
Another way: Can’t commit all the way but you still want to save? Instead of buying a fancy coffee, get a regular one for $1.75 and transfer the $2.25 difference to your savings account.
Published by Metro News November 19, 2017.
- Perk Up to Big Savings by Changing Your Morning Habit – Week 1
- This Year, Restrict Holiday Drinks to Half-price Happy Hour – Week 2
- Save and Lessen the Burden on the Environment With Christmas eCards – Week 3
- Who Says You Shouldn’t Regift? Spread Holiday Cheer and Bank the Savings – Week 4
- To Save Money, Buy Gift Cards With Your Leftover Gift Cards – Week 5
- Ditch the Drinks and Smokes – Your Wallet Will Thank You – Week 6
- Save Some Cash and the Environment by Abandoning Bottled Water – Week 7